Sunday, February 10, 2008

New Age Sustainable Living


New Age – Sustainable Living

Wikipedia states that sustainable living is a lifestyle that could, hypothetically, be sustained without exhausting any natural resources. The term can be applied to individuals or societies. Its adherents most often hold true sustainability as a goal or guide, and make lifestyle tradeoffs favoring sustainability.

And Wikipedia states that Sustainability is a characteristic of a process or state that can be maintained at a certain level indefinitely.

As a shaman, the Earth, nature and all of its creatures are important and also are our teachers. This leads me to do my best at living a sustainable life. Because of this I eat organic food knowing the farming techniques are gentler and kinder to the Earth. Also, organic meat is kinder to the animals, the Earth, and our own bodies. Just read the February/ March 2008 issue page 74 of the Mother Earth News magazine to learn how the industrial meat industry is so cruel to animals and leave us with less nutrious food with dangerous residues.

I also either wear used clothing so that I am re-using or buy organic fabric or make my own clothes from fiber I grow myself, naturally dye myself, and naturally spin myself.

I also try to live simpler. I got a chance to live with a middle class Egyptian family for a number of years and was impressed at how they could live happily with only a tenth of the mater5ial goods that a typical American middle class family would live with. While I’m a long ways off from the simplicity of my days of living in Egypt, I’m better at being simple than I was a few years ago. I got rid of a lot of extra electrical run items (rice cooker, electric coffee maker, electric foot bath, etc.)

I think the most important thing is to know how important sustainable living is and to set up your won goals and work towards them the best you can. I truly believe every little bit helps. And I believe every effort adds to ones personal spiritual power.

As always, as everyone has their won spiritual connection to the divine, allow the effort to come from within yourself and not from outside pressure. No one can tell you how best to become sustainable, its something you decide for yourself.

Take a look at our sustainable section of our website. Sustainable Link

No comments: